The Arlevon (named for the builder’s daughters Arlene and Yvonne).. Would make a great island hopper for someone who likes to troll for salmon along the way. I’ve owned her for 15 years.
26 foot monk cruiser with buda diesel engine (raw water/fresh water heat exchanger cooled), skeg protecting rudder and prop. Carvel planked red cedar on oak. Aft canopy. Cabin with 6+ feet of headroom. New canvas on decks, house and canopy. Hauled out regularly for any needed repair work below waterline.
Kept in small protected harbor under well ventilated tarp-tent when not underway. Screened doors, windows and open hatch also provide ventilation.
Needs: refastening below waterline with bronze or SS to replace wherever galvanized fastenings were used.
Cabin sides should be repaired and skinned with plywood or rebuilt
Interior should be painted/renovated or rebuilt
Replace shift/throttle controls with Morse MJB control
Extra gauges would be nice – but not essential
Yellow screens on port and starboard sides are handmade removable wooden vents
Carvel planked red Cedar on oak frames
Sleeping berth up fwd
Raw water/fresh water heat exchanger exhausts out transom (all hoses were replaced)
Skeg on bottom protects large prop and rudder post
Port door leads to head (separate from cabin) Starboard door leads to cabin
Stack dry exhaust for engine – replaced with stainless stack (exhaust pipe inside)
Buda Diesel DA 4 cylinder (?) (i have all manuals for engine and Buda in Shreveport La still sells parts – so does John Paulsen )
Here is the info I have on them:
The Buda Engine Co.
email email@example.com (I don’t know if that works or not now)
Also, there is a guy by the name of Chuck Rhoads who has the remaining factory records from Buda. He doesn’t have email, by you can write to him at
150 Troy Road
Collinsville, IL 62234.
Most of what he has seem to be for the stationary and industrial engines.
For Buda parts an information you can also try
24 v starter 2 8D batteries installed wired in series
Cummins 24v preheater installed over intake valve
on off wiring switch provides juice from alternator to house battery (separate)
Alternator installed to spin off 21 inch flywheel
cruising speed about 6-8 knots
some Planks and frames replaced
Stern replaced under the waterline
All hoses were replaced
cutless bearing replaced
prop shaft straightened
last haulout 2012
Canvas replaced on house and aft canopy (hardtop)
canopy stanchions replaced with stainless
The port door leads to a small head w/sink (toilet removed, but still have it)
Starboard door leads to the cabin
Deck canvas torn off and replaced by some horrid rubber trowel on deck – removed all that and have canvas/heavy roofing paper to recanvas deck
Removed head (still have) and doors to aft deck (one to head and one to cabin). Doors (mahogany) have been revarnished and are ready to go back on –
I have complete aft deck enclosure (heavy duty see through vinyl)
I have a trailer full of boat parts, cleats, instruments, etc. that go with boat. Boat is kept under tarp tent in water.
Head is behind heater and has separate entry door from aft deck. I removed the head, but still have it and it can be reinstalled.
Both aft entry mahogany doors have been refinished bright and can be reinstalled.
Things that need doing: The mahogany planks on the house are the boats weak point – they need to be replaced or structurally enhanced from the inside with cleats. The outside should be skinned with a plywood skin (there is a technique to doing this, needs research)
The fastenings were replaced about 15 years ago with galvanized. Planks in good shape but fastenings should all be drilled out and refastened with bronze or stainless sometime in the next year or 2
The stem should be inspected sometime in the future
The canvas decks need to be put on (i have all the material for this) DONE 8/9/12
All fittings need to be re installed, including the toe rails, rub rails, cleats etc DONE 8/9/12
The engine shifter is basically a broomhandle that extends from the engine box. The throttle is an antique. Both the shift and throttle should be replaced with a Morse MJB control mounted in the steering station that can accomodate a heavy duty morse cable (6300 series) for the shift
Overall – This boat has a lot going for her – handles like a dream in following seas (don’t even feel it) Small but big. Sips fuel. Uncomplicated engine. and a lot of soul
The steering device is a bicycle chain on a sprocket mounted to the rudder post. Works just fine but an emergency tiller should be installed (for G.P.)
The Arlevon Charm
There is a worm drive gear off an old electric car window that can connect to the steering wheel via a rod. 10 feet of wires wrapped in electrical tape go to a car window button – you can sit on the house in warm days and steer from up there.
A drain plug with a hose fitting leading to a drill siphon has been fitted to the oil pan – Just attach a short piece of garden hose, primed with oil and you have an easy way to drain the engine oil.
One last note:
I love her. I’ve got over 30,000 into her. Wish I had the money or skill to finish the job.
Meanwhile – here she is doing what she loves to do best